Tuesday, January 20, 2009

You Know It's Cold When...

Katie and I were walking home from Megan's house tonight, discussing how cold it has been and I thought I'd share a few things with you. As I type, in fact, I am looking at my weather center desktop icon and it's a cool -9 (then I click on it to get more info and it tells me that it actually feels like -19) and that is just too much! Last Friday, they canceled school because it was just too cold! So here it is. You know it's cold when....

your nose (or what's inside) freezes shut the second you walk outside.
the frost INSIDE your car needs to be scraped off!
the sludge that collects in your wheel wells (you know, that stuff you can just kick off) is SOLID ICE
they cancel school because it's colder than -20.
your kids have absolutely no desire to play in the snow.
you actually drive to the bus stop that is only 100 yards away.
the icicles at the church go all the way to the ground.
you pray for snow, just to warm things up a little.

...and finally you know it's cold when it's 30 degrees warmer in ANCHORAGE, ALASKA!!!

10 comments:

acte gratuit said...

Brrr. I just turned the heater up a little bit.

You should move here. It's quite temperate in comparison!

Angie said...

I love this post! It is absolutely hilarious and so so true. I am ready for this winter to be DONE! I was laughing at church on Sunday when I saw the ice cycles. LOL

Clair said...

Yikes, I will be content with omy 17 degree Kentucky day. Hang in there!

Jennifer said...

Whoa! I thought we had it bad!

amydear said...

So sorry for you guys up there, Kim! Good thing it's your very last winter there, huh? I have to say, I haven't missed the frigid temps one bit. It's been in the high 40s and 50s here. And sunny. But I do miss you! Come West!

Megs said...

Twice this week I have used my scraper on the inside of my car! I hate it. I am really looking forward to this week when it is supposed to get up to 30 degrees. This morning it was 20 and I told Matt it wasn't very cold. So sad!

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

We too have to drive our kids to the bus stop! I think I am going to go get some hot cocoa!

Trisha said...

Hey what about the one of You know it's too cold when on Thursday you realize you haven't been out of the house since Sunday!
I'd say we should play, but I don't want to get your colds and I'm not to Thursday yet.
See you in the spring!

Lanes said...

Um, I'm feeling bad I complained about it being cold in Portland yesterday when it was 38 degrees. Have fun with that!

Sarah Walton said...

too funny Kim! It's cold here too, but not THAT cold. We've had an inch of solid ice on our driveway and walkway for over a week now. . . . we finally bought some salt when our UPS guy almost fell. I'm definitely ready for spring!