Friday, August 27, 2010

For Posterity's Sake


I am really starting to question whether we should be teaching our children to be totally honest. For example, here are a few conversations I've had with Mollie recently:

I have been working with the kids to be more polite, so when they demand something from me I make them stop and say "Darling Mother, you are so beautiful and the best mom in the world. May I please have..." As you will see, this has now backfired on me.

Mollie: "Mother, beautiful darling - well, I mean you aren't really beautiful today. But I really like your shirt! - Can I please have a drink of juice?"

Me: *gasp* "Just don't say it if you don't mean it."

a few weeks later

Mollie: "Mom, I think you are getting old."
Me: "Oh, what makes you say that?"
Mollie: "You have all these lines by your eyes."

a few weeks later

Mollie: (after I sang her a made-up song she requested) "Mom, I'm going to wish on the star that your voice will get better."
Me: "You don't like my voice?"
Mollie: "Well, I mean your voice is okay but it's just a little bit wrong."

There was another encounter last night, but I just can't talk about it yet. Maybe in a year or so. I think you get the idea though.

10 comments:

Clair said...

First of all, I LOVE the new blog look...well, what I mean is that it is much better than the last one. J/K! I really like it.

My six year old is pretty good at telling it like it is as well, unfortunately. Ha.

Hang in there. Your girlfriends will always tell you what you want to hear. :)

And... that picture of Mollie is so adorable!

Alison said...

Hah!
That's what we call in my family
"poison lips" :)
Hilarious! (Only because the comments are NOT true, of course!)

I'm diggin' the new blog look too!

Erin Gong said...

I love that you had the courage to post these - so funny!

amydear said...

Oh, the honesty of kids. I really want to know what else Miss Mollie had to say. Maybe you'll tell me in person. I love that she wants to "wish on a star". Ha!

mama bear said...

One thing I didn't add was, the next night after the wishing star incident, Mollie said "I can't wait to see if my wish came true!"

Lanes said...

Okay, that is really funny. They can be a bit too honest sometimes. Okay, Kim, when are we going to play!? Let's please get together soon. We really want to see you guys!

Trina said...

Hi Kim-I'm still laughing! Kids are so crazy sometimes! We miss you guys and it was fun to see what you've been up to on your blog! I need to get mine updated so bad! Have a great day!

Missy said...

i love that picture of mollie. i'm teaching a lesson this week on honesty . . . perhaps i'll also teach my girls the value of a good lie. :) and p.s. i know you have a good voice.

Unknown said...

I couldn't stop laughing!!! I think that's why Jack Handy wrote: "The face of a child says it all. Especially the mouth part of the face." :) Carson is getting there, so far it's just been on the other side of the bathroom door. "Mommy? Can I come in?" "No" "Is it stinky in there?" :)
Can't wait to see you guys!!!!

Leslie said...

oh kim I'm sorry for the record I think you're a beautiful young amazing singer. :) LOL yesterday Alyssa told me I would be a great baker and I could work in a bakery as long as I could bring my bread machine.....