Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Pardon Our Dust

It all started last week. I was up feeding Madi in the middle of the night (I know, don't you wish you were me!) when I heard a little critter of some sort scratching away in our ceiling. Of course, I called housing and they sent over a pest control guy who basically told me to give it a few days and the mouse (or whatever it was) would find its way back outside and we'd never see it. Gee, thanks for the help. Fortunately (I think) for us, the pest guy did notice a crack in our bedroom ceiling. Later that afternoon 2 guys showed up from housing and said the pest guy had called and told them about the crack. I was in the middle of my nap so I have to admit I was a little annoyed that he'd made such a big deal of it. I mean, I had noticed the same crack like 6 months ago and chalked it up to a bad paint job - this is student housing after all! Anyway, these guys took a look and could actually lift the whole ceiling up (that's not supposed to happen). They immediately called to get someone in to put up supports until the contractor could come and fix it. They also told me that we had to vacate our bedroom right away and not even sleep in it. With my mom visiting, there really was no room at the inn so we ended up sleeping on our mattress in the living room all weekend, and Madi slept on the couch. First thing Monday morning the contractor came and got to work. At first they said that it was just a couple of loose nails and maybe one bad spot that they would re-do. As it turns out, when they opened up the ceiling to take out the bad part, the whole thing basically came tumbling down, insulation and all! So, we were moved to a temporary apartment while they finish the ceiling. Whew, I don't know how much more excitement we can take!!

** PS, if you need to reach us for some reason you have to do it via email because we are just otherwise unreachable!

9 comments:

mama bear said...

What an adventure it has been!! Thanks for the memories!! Love, mom

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

Geez, I am so sorry a new baby and construction are not fun!

amydear said...

Yikes! You should stay at our house. We're not home until Friday night. I'm glad the ceiling didn't come down on you in the night. Gotta love family housing.

Leslie said...

oh my gosh kim! that's terrible!! now you got me thinking about all the odd little cracks around here. :)

Barb: said...

No way! Well, at least they're fixing it, right? Let me know if you need anything!

Heather said...

Wow! That is absolutely crazy! I'm glad maintenance found out about it and not you guys. Let us know when you get back in!

Brad said...

Wow, you are having lots of fun over there, huh? I'm so sorry. Let me know if you need anything. My ceiling isn't falling...yet. (but have checked it all for cracks now)

caligirl said...

WOW!!! Don't you love Northwood:-) That brought back memories of Megan being 2 weeks old and my kitchen torn apart with big dryers in it and the fridge in the living room because the shower was leaking through the walls down into the kitchen:-) Hang in there!!

Angie said...

Gotta love student housing right? I'm sorry that you had to deal with all that, especially right after having a new baby. Hopefully things will get back to normal soon.