Friday, April 02, 2010

A Birthday Story

It all happened many years ago. You see, I love my birthday. I have always loved my birthday, and I have always been too impatient to wait for opening presents. The year I turned 8, I begged and begged to open a present a day early. My mom was pretty firm that I had to wait, but my 2 sisters took it upon themselves to bring me a beautifully wrapped present. I took the present in my hands, and just couldn't resist. It was so heavy and wonderful, I just had to open it! I could not believe my luck! I hurried and ripped the paper off, opened the box and there it was - a big, heavy, dirty brick that they had found outside. It was even a little wet still because of the April shower (much like today). I was furious. Why, oh why did my birthday have to be the day after April Fool's Day?! And why were my sisters so mean?The next day I had a great 8th birthday, here I am showing off my new wallet and the money that was inside. And do you see that lovely microscope my sister Alison is holding? That's right, all mine!
I'll never forget that birthday, and if I did my sisters would take it upon themselves to remind me. I was humbled just a little that day, but I still love my birthday (even though I stopped getting older) and occasionally still peek just a little.

Happy Birthday to me!!

9 comments:

Emily said...

Happy Birthday! I love your whole 8-year old look. The ET shirt is my favorite!

Emily said...

love, love, love the E.T. tshirt. so classic. happy happy birthday!

Megs said...

I am not sure where to start. The hair or the ET t-shirts :) Love the stories and LOVE the pictures. Happy Birthday. Enjoy your dinner tonight.

Brad and Tiff said...

Happy happy birthday! I feel like it is my birthday getting to see that picture of you!!! We love you!

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

Happy Birthday to You!!!! Those ET shirts are AWESOME!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh the memories are fun--I do remember well the birthday! Love the glasses! When did time get away so fast?
Love You, hope you had a fun birthday!

Alison said...

LOL -- ET! LOVE IT! You could do a whole post just on that! Hah!
And, it's good to know your sister, Alison has such a beautiful name! And spelled properly too.

Hope you had a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

marissa said...

Thanks for that sweet picture of you! Love it!

Julie said...

ha ha ha ha ha!!!!! That was one of my best April Fools!!!! I couldn't understand why you were so mad....And I remember the ET shirts! That was one of my favorite shirts! I wore mine every Friday in 6th grade! I wasn't a nerd at all!!! I love being your sister! We had such a fun childhood! Love, Julie