Friday, March 26, 2010

You Never Know

I've always been taught to be nice and kind to everyone, with the knowledge that you never know when a smile from you will brighten someone else's day. Today I was on the receiving end. After a rough time at the DMV this morning (I won't go into details, let's just say I still don't have an Oregon license and our car is still sporting Michigan tags), I headed into Staples to make a return for Brett and buy a few supplies for the office. Have I menitoned how much I love office supplies? It's really almost an illness with me. Anyway, I am an emotional wreck when I walk in the store and start fighting with Madi to get her into the cart. The store is pretty empty, and the 2 girls at the front register both smile at me and say hi and welcome to the store. They talked with my girls, and when I realized I didn't have the receipt they looked up our rewards account and then searched for the right transaction so that I could make my return and not have to come back later. It's hard for me to put into words how much they did for me, you really just needed to be there. But these 2 Staples girls really made my day, and I wish I would have told them how much that meant to me. They helped me to feel like a real person instead of just another customer, and I really needed that. I have really tried to be that person to compliment someone or give a smile when I feel like someone is down. I don't always succeed, but after today I will try a little harder, because you never know when you'll make a difference in someone's life!

3 comments:

amydear said...

See, people in Oregon are nice! When do we get to visit?

acte gratuit said...

Good for them! That makes me happy!

They have really good customer service here. I love it! I just have no idea what they're saying, so it's not exactly helpful....but it's still very nice!

You should fill out a customer card praising them!
(If you don't know their names, just write the day and time you were there.)

Alison said...

I love office supplies too!!
Glad they were nice to you.

And about getting an Oregon license...
This is just between you and me, (me with my PERFECT driving record), I FAILED the test. FAILED. I was chasing two kids while trying to take the multiple choice test. I hope you did better than I did :)