Sunday, June 15, 2008

Oh, Mollie

How do you solve a problem like Mollie? She is the sweetest little girl, so full of excitement and love. But there are times when she just snaps and throws these huge tantrums, and these times are getting more and more frequent lately. We never know what is going to set her off, and when it does we don't know how to get her calmed down. She has even been waking up at night and throwing tantrums. The other morning she screamed for 2 hours, I'm pretty sure because she wanted her milk in a different cup.

This video was after the pencil she was coloring with wasn't working the way she wanted it to, and it was a pretty mild one. We were starting to see a little improvement with her temper before the baby came, but in the past few weeks it has just gotten worse and worse. I've tried everything I can think of, but she just doesn't calm down until she decides she's ready. I usually just ignore her until she's done, but I feel like I need to help her control this anger now before it gets worse. Especially since Mollie's screams scare Madi and make her cry and I can't console both of them at the same time. I know that spending more one on one time with Mollie will help a little, and I've been trying to do little things with her when I can. I just hope we can get this taken care of soon, so that our relationship doesn't suffer down the road.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

kim LOVE this post I think it has something to do with all kids who were born on NOV 20th Alex is right there too!! Im just let him go until he's done and when he is he is all the sudden the sweetest little thing.. what's that about??

Clair said...

How old is Mollie? My Olivia was very difficult at age 3 and 4. Everything had to be just so, for example- her sandwich had to be put together in a certain order and cut a certain way and her socks never felt right and kept her home from preschool a couple of times. She pretty much would not give into anything that wasn't her idea or the way she wanted it. I turned to reading "Raising the Spirited Child." I don't remember much about the book but I do remember learning that some children are hypersensitive to things like light, the feel of clothing, noise, whatever. You might read about this. Also, there were certain circumstances that would make the stress worse. For example- if she was tired or hungry, forget it. If you can identify some of the triggers you can try to avoid them. Good luck. I totally think this is something you will make it through. "Choose your battles" was a phrase I lived by at the time too. ps- Olivia still has some of the same tendencies- she refuses to wear denim jeans because she doesn't like the way they feel, but it was at age 3 and 4 that all these things seemed magnified.

acte gratuit said...

Please tell me when you find a solution so I can use it on Sammy. I swear that boy turned evil when we took his binky away! Good luck! (Also, he is MUCH worse when he's hungry or tired. Those are totally his 'triggers'.)

Mike and Tanya said...

oh man! This is the part of parenting that I call "enduring to the end" yikes! It seems that's the only option ever left. The only thing that works for my kids is time-out in their rooms- but that's just us? Good luck, if you ever just need a break- call me!

mama bear said...

Thanks everyone for your support and advice! Clair, I think I'll look into that book - it sounds like Mollie is just like your Livvy. Em, as a matter of fact we did just take her binky away and that is probably part of the reason it's getting worse.

Angie said...

Good luck with the tantrums. It doesn't sound like much fun. Hopefully you will be able to figure something out. She probably just needs some time to adjust to all of the changes, especially taking away her binky!